The Vietnam Mineral and Coal Industry Group has presented 3.2 billion VND to help the Central province of Thua Thien-Hue upgrade the relic of Hien Duc gate at Minh Mang tomb.
The aid results from the news that the Center for the Preservation of Relics in Hue, the ancient capital has found some documents about coal mining in 1940 under king Minh Mang of the Nguyen dynasty.
The king published a royal decree that allowed people to mine coal in Quang Yen coal area (the north-east coastal province of Quang Ninh), and arranged mandarins to manage the operations.
This shows that the coal was mined in Vietnam from the beginning of the Nguyen dynasty, not during the French occupation as previously written.
The construction of the tomb of Minh Mang started in 1840 and was completed in 1843.
It is located in an enclosed hilly area of about 20ha in Cam Khe village, Huong Tra district, 12 km from the center of Huecity.
The surrounding rampart has three entrance gates and is comprised of approximately 30 structures arranged along an imaginary axis.
The tomb of Minh Mang has an air of magnificence and formality, and its architectural design blends in harmoniously with the natural surroundings.
It is possible to cross the river by boat (docked at Tuan Wharf), or by car on the way to Thien Mu pagoda.
Compiled by BTA
Photos in orientalarchitecture.com